Friday, April 7, 2017



Unit 1: Two Cultures



Picture of me and our team's
competition rocket from 2016.
As a student studying Aerospace Engineering, I aspire to design and manufacture rockets, spacecraft, and aerodynamic vehicles.  To do so, not only do I need technical knowledge, I also need creativity to inspire these ideas into creation.  In fact, Steven Pinker said that people should be educated in both sciences and philosophies - you can’t be ignorant to one or the other and still be taken seriously (beautyandtruth09).  I believe that this balance of creativity and technical knowledge acts as the bridge between what C.P. Snow calls “two cultures”- the scientist culture and literary intellectuals culture (Snow).  



Map of UCLA indicating the clear distinction between
north campus ("literary intellectuals" culture) and
south campus ("scientist" culture), each on opposite sides of
the UCLA campus.
Courtesy of: http://www.ucla.edu/pdf/ucla-campus-map.pdf

Specifically at UCLA, the division between these two cultures is obvious.  Considering that it takes 13 minutes to walk from an art class to an engineering class, making it impossible to take both classes back-to-back, this proves The RSA’s point where schools, to this day, are organized on factory lines with separate subjects and separate buildings (The RSA). This, in turn, further divides the gap between the two cultures as they become more isolated from each other, and when cultures are isolated from each other, there is more room for misunderstanding (Vesna).


This is an example of how one occupation
(marketing) uses both science and art
for their craft - it's not just one culture
or the other, it's the combination of the
two, which optimized the individual's
full potential.
Courtesy of: http://newinternetorder.com



As an engineering student in the scientist culture, I would say the majority of my close friends can be categorized in the literary intellectuals culture with majors ranging from Art, Psychology, English, Theater, and more.  From these relationships and understanding their experiences, I have a broader understanding of life and ways of thinking, which in turn helps me with the creative aspects in my craft.  Now aware of the two distinct cultures and the necessity to communicate with the other culture, I want to encourage other engineers in my classes and my “literary intellectual” friends to get outside of their bubble and get to know the other culture.  Interestingly, in the early 1930’s, the Association for Advanced Science stated that “scientist” is analogous to “artist” (uconlineprogram).  I believe that by making a conscious effort to emerge oneself in the other culture, this will bridge the gap to make these two terms analogous once more in today’s society.





References:
  1. beautyandtruth09. "SEEDMAGAZINE.COM Two Cultures Steven Pinker." Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 18 May 2010. Web. 7 April 2017.
  2. Snow, C.P. "The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution." New York: Cambridge UP, 1959.
  3. The RSA. "RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms." Online video clip. Youtube. YouTube, 14 October 2010. Web. 7 April 2017.
  4. Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001, pp. 121-125.
  5. uconlineprogram. "TwoCultures pt2." Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 31 March 2012. Web. 7 April 2017.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your point that the UCLA campus is designed with the more traditional view of education as a sort of "assembly line", with us, the students, as products that all think the same. That's why, as you said in your post, it is beneficial to foster intellectual conversations with people of vastly different majors than you. I have also grown to appreciate the general education requirements of UCLA, as this has allowed me to explore other fields and expand my thinking, rather than just sticking to classes for my major and being stuck in my bubble of scientific thinking.

    One thing that I did not really realize until we began exploring this topic in class was the fact that many traditionally math/science majors - such as your major, aerospace engineering - require some sort of artistic thinking. With aerospace engineering, you design rockets and other aerodynamic vehicles, all of which require some level of artistic design. While one does not usually equate engineering with art, the lectures and readings we looked at this week have opened my mind to these realizations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really intrigued by the connection you made between engineering and art. Since I am not in this major, I had never considered the amount of creativity that it takes to use math, science and physics to build unique projects. One really does need an artistic mind to combine all of these into one. This is a clear example that there is a bridge between the two cultures, despite the physical separation of these departments on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine

    I really like your view on how the more creative side is going to help in your aerospace engineering. I think that although lots of technical knowledge is needed, people can get caught up in it, whereas being able to mentally step back for a minute and tap into the creative side of the brain can be a huge advantage for someone like an engineer. So maybe some of those south campus majors should take that 13 minute walk to the sculpture garden because it might inspire them in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post because you touched on the idea that engineers need a large amount of creative ability, something I emphasized in my own post. I think that engineers are the "third culture," if one does truly exist. However, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the campus divide in relation to convenience. I personally think that while North/South campus are physically divided, that's simply because it's inconvenient for students, teachers, and anyone transporting materials between buildings that teach similar topics. I do agree though that everyone should step out of their own bubble, which I believe is a major benefit of GEs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your post and I think that you did a great job displaying the images and references in a good fashion. Technology and art has a uncanny resemblance and is very interesting to discuss.

    ReplyDelete